Monday, April 14, 2008

going to the chapel...

"Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears." -- Edgar Allen Poe

In the Catholic faith, the wedding is traditionally held in the bride's home church. Having grown up and gone to church in Spring Valley, NY, but having spent the last five years residing and attending church in Manhattan, I wasn't exactly sure where my "home church" was. I knew it was one of two places--
  1. St. Paul's Chapel, Columbia University -- This is where I went to church during my four years of undergraduate, where my Christian fellowship met each week, and where I was going to church when Alphonse and I first started dating. While the church itself is pretty small, the campus around the church is definitely quite picturesque. Parking in Manhattan, however, is always a pain, and reservations at the chapel are quite pricey.
  2. St. Joseph's Parish, Spring Valley, NY -- This is where I've been going to church for over fifteen years. It's where I first received three very important sacraments: reconciliation, first communion, and confirmation. The church itself is quite modern and simple; nothing too ornate or over the top, but still beautiful. The way the wooden beams run across the ceiling always reminds me of an ark. And in addition, there's a ton of parking and the price is right.
Yesterday Al and I visited St. Joseph's for the first time since we've been engaged to get a feel for what it might be like to have our wedding there (see pictures below, click on them to get a better view). The visit was a success, and it's likely we'll have our ceremony there, but nothing is set yet, so no promises. When we get back from our cruise we're going to look in to booking our reception. We have a place in mind, but I'll save that for another day. :)

"And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." -- Matthew 16:18

No comments: