Sunday, July 27, 2008

flower power.

"To know someone with whom you can feel there is understanding in spite of distances or thoughts unexpressed... That can make this life a garden." -- Goethe

When I was in a bookstore the other day I stumbled upon another wedding magazine cover with a beautiful, yellow bouquet. This particular cover bouquet is of ranunculuses (Persian buttercups) and calla lilies, both of which I love. Since this is the cover of the summer issue of Pacific Weddings, I was surprised to learn that ranunculuses are not in season during the summer! This was quite sad news to me because it means I probably will not be having them in my wedding bouquet since I've been reading a lot about how choosing flowers that are in-season saves a lot of money.

So alas, I wised up and restarted my flower search looking for flowers that I like that would be in-season in August (as opposed to flowers that just looked "pretty"). Based on our color choice of yellow (with blue accents), here are some of my new favorites:
  • yellow dahlias - very soft and modern looking
  • white tuberoses - small and sweet
  • blue delphiniums - cute and blue
  • blue hydrangeas - small flowers but full bundles, plus these grow at the house where I grew up, so it would add a homey feel
  • yellow zinnias - similar to dahlias (I like round flowers)
  • yellow freesias - my favorite flower, luckily in-season
And as promised, more polyvore! Here's a collage of some of the flowers mentioned above (plus some ranunculuses and calla lilies, too)

Click on above image to see individual images

"That fading flower, his glorious beauty, set on the head of a fertile valley, will be like a fig ripe before harvest— as soon as someone sees it and takes it in his hand, he swallows it." -- Isaiah 28:4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the yellow freesias are very pretty!