Tuesday, May 20, 2008

all in a year.

"In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee/ In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife. / In five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes / How do you measure a year in the life?" -- 'Seasons of Love' from RENT

Annual review.
That was the two word title of the meeting that I had with my boss this morning evaluating my performance over the past year. The meeting was over in about 15 minutes and the day progressed as usual. In the afternoon I visited my friend Peter at Columbia and saw the campus set up for tomorrow's commencement ceremony and as I stood there I felt like it was just yesterday that I was sitting in those seats in front of alma mater. And now, it's evening time and I'm sitting in my empty apartment on this rainy Tuesday mentally packing things up for my move when my year-long lease is up in a month. I'm not sure if it's the weather or the visit to campus or my evaluation this morning, but I'm suddenly feeling very nostalgic. It's hard to believe it's been a year since I graduated and started working full-time.. time flies so quickly. A few highlights of the past year include: graduation, starting work, my first apartment, getting engaged, getting in to medical school. And surprisingly (to me), all this talk of the past makes me really excited about the future-- and all the known and unknown things it holds. Just a few minutes ago Al told me, "I keep telling all my friends how excited I am to marry you. I think they just don't get how much fun we have... I know we're gonna have a blast." I definitely agree. So cheers to 2007, 2008, 2009 and beyond. Hopefully every annual review I have is this enjoyable.

525,600 minutes ago

And since we're talking about time (sorta) I wanted to mention that I've stumbled upon so many "wedding planning countdowns" over the past few months, and with our August 2009 wedding plans well underway, we are by most accounts ahead of schedule! Go team alleykat.

"And I'll say to myself, 'You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.' " -- Luke 12:19

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

med school!!!! congrats! thats so exciting! which one are you going to?