Friday, May 16, 2008

a rose by any other name...

"Names are not always what they seem" -- Mark Twain
For no particular reason, I thought I'd briefly summarize how I chose the name of my blog: katalmahal. Perhaps this entry is a little overdue, but hopefully it's appreciated, nonetheless. I wanted a name that would be fairly easy to remember, while at the same time, reflective of our relationship. For both Alphonse and I, I know that culture has played an important role in shaping much of who we are today, including our Catholic faith, our value of family, and our love of food. When I was coming up with names, one of the first words that came to mind was a word that I often heard from my parents as I was growing up: 'mahal.' In Filipino (tagalog) the word 'mahal' means 'love.' What better word to describe our relationship than 'love'?! For the first part of the name I just used our nicknames: 'kat' for Katrina, and 'al' for Alphonse. And thus was born katalmahal. I think it looks/sounds pretty good.


A few rejected names included: italianweddingsoup and alleykatwedding. Both of these would have probably worked, but in the end I opted for the shorter name.

And by the way, we're going to see a photographer tomorrow, so expect an update later this weekend!

"And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us." -- 1 John 3:23

No comments: